Smoke-free campus could help deter bad habits

Nick Surita, Colleges Against Cancer Co-President

In 2003, all UW-System residence halls went smoke-free, and in 2010, workplaces and public places in Wisconsin joined them. To date, 25 Wisconsin campuses made the move to a tobacco-free campus. For the health and protection of all students, faculty and staff, let’s make UW-Whitewater the next college to go tobacco free.

Many people ask “Why should UW-Whitewater go tobacco-free?” Here’s a few reasons:

A tobacco-free campuses will create a healthier environment for all students, faculty and staff.

A tobacco-free environment provides motivation for tobacco users to get the help they need to quit.

Tobacco in all its forms is dangerous, from e-cigarettes to hookahs, to combustible tobacco products.

Going completely tobacco-free makes the implementation of policy easier for all to understand.

I invite all UW-Whitewater students, faculty and staff, to attend the upcoming tobacco-free campus learning session on Nov. 16 from 6-7 p.m. in the University Center (UC) Ballroom 275B. For smokers trying to quit, help is available through University Health and Counseling Services and at the Great American Smoke Out table on Nov. 17 from 11-2 p.m. in the University Center.

Let’s take the next positive step and make UW-Whitewater a better and healthier place for all of us.