Watch out for the ice

Scout Springgate, Managing Editor

With temperatures fluctuating from mildly warm to blistering cold, ice build-up on campus and city walkways once again become a problem. This issue is particularly prevalent at night, when temperatures dip and meltwater from snow begins to freeze. It is also especially pertinent for Whitewater – a community with more elderly and disabled citizens than others.

My column is not necessarily regarding a lack of salt put on the sidewalks, but rather a warning for students and community members to be cautious of potentially slippery walkways.

Even though this problem occurs every winter, there are still too many cases where people are injured as a result of slipping on “black ice.” Simply taking note of where meltwater is prevalent and wearing footwear designed for colder weather can save so much trouble when temperatures drop.

There are many ways to combat this problem, but the easiest is to just be aware of your surroundings and walk with caution when traveling at night.

Nighttime is typically when the most incidents involving icy conditions occur due to refreezing. So taking precautions and considering alternative routes to arrive at a desired location could be the difference. Consider pathways that do not have steep inclines or declines. Choose well lighted routes and those with minimal stairs, which would make a fall more damaging.

It’s important to stay active in the winter months and step out for fresh air. But the next time you walk around campus or town, be aware of where you are stepping and avoid areas where potentially icy conditions could present themselves.

– Scout Springgate

Managing Editor