Ways to celebrate Earth Day in Whitewater

Photo by Felicity Knabenabuer

Felicity Knabenabuer, Campus News Editor

Earth day is just around the corner Apr. 22 and even better, it’s during the weekend. This means there’s an opportunity to spend the day doing something to give back through sustainability efforts. From growing your own produce to simply appreciating nature, there are always an endless number of ways to relish in the Spring environment here in Whitewater.

Raise some chickens

While raising chickens may not be the most realistic endeavor for most people, for those who do have the space and time to do so, it can be quite beneficial.  The Whitewater common council backyard chicken ordinance declares that Whitewater residents who achieve a permit are allowed up to six hens for each dwelling unit. The average hen will lay up to 250 eggs per year, meaning there will be unlikely shortages the more chickens acquired.

Plant a tree 

There are so many different tree varieties it can be difficult to choose exactly which ones to plant. To get some ideas, visit the UW-Whitewater campus to see the over 100 different species of trees all throughout the property. Planting a tree can be done in as easy as seven steps so there is no need to worry about the difficulty of keeping your growing friend alive.

Plant a garden

Planting a garden does not always have to involve back breaking labor to be a success.  Other than the traditional outdoor plot gardens, there are a variety of other ways to get your thumb green without much effort. One of the simplest ways to enjoy a garden is to create a mini terrarium using an old glass jar and some outdoor plant life. Another simple garden to create could be an indoor succulent garden. Succulents are simple and easy to care for plants that always look great on the windowsill.

Be apart of the community garden

When there is not enough space for your own garden, look to other resources here in Whitewater. One such resource is the Whitewater community garden started all the way back in 2009 and has continued to be a staple of the community.

Go for a nature walk

One wonderful thing about Whitewater are the many walking trails and parks available to the community. Having the opportunity to bask in nature no matter the season can be incredibly therapeutic. From the Whitewater nature preserve to Natureland park there always seems to be a spot to spend the day and be grateful to mother nature. 

Join a sustainability club

Students of the University of Wisconsin whitewater get the unique opportunity to be a part of a variety of different clubs and organizations all surrounding sustainability. One club on campus is the Garden club that regularly meets and holds events at the Upham greenhouse. Another club is S.A.G.E, also known as “Students Allied for a Green Earth.” Finally there is the sustainability office, dedicated to “teaching students about their personal responsibility when it comes to reducing an overall carbon footprint.”